AFL Kids First Round
AFL Kids First aims to encourage parents to help create a positive environment for their children to participate in sporting activities.
The round of 28/29 April will include a number of league initiatives to guide parents so that both they and their children obtain the maximum benefit and enjoyment from their participation.
Parents play an important role in the delivery and support of sporting activities for their own and other children. With it comes a clear responsibility to act in a constructive and encouraging manner at all times.
Enthusiastic cheering and wanting children to perform well is understandable, but it is critical that parents do this in an acceptable manner to avoid the "ugly parent syndrome" at all times.
The basic principles of Kids First are to remind parents that:
- Sport for children is a vital part of their development growing up.
- Children like to win, but more importantly, they want to have fun.
- Parents need to set the right example at the sports ground, not just at home.
- Parents should be proud of their child’s efforts irrespective of the result.
- Sport is important to children’s self esteem.