The Raiwaqa Basketball Players Association will be hosting an U18 Basketball Tournament for both boys and girls which will run from the 4th May - 8th June 2013. Intersted teams or players looking to join a club is to contact Mereleni Waqairawai on 9337434
NDP ASSESSMENT TEAMS FOR 2009
The USP program is known as the Industrial Placement Program and requires the students to spend a minimum of 140 hours each semester working with the sports organisation.
Basketball Fiji has arranged with the Senior Lecturuer in Sports Science, Mr Ravin Lala, to have the students split into two teams to work with each of the National Senior Squads. The teams will be known as the National Men's Assessment team and the National Women's Assessment team.
The teams will commence at the beginning of January (well before the semester actually begins) to fit with the NDP schedule. The following is a list of the duties that the Assessment teams will complete:
1. Conduct the conditioning (fitness) program. This includes attending each morning at the track and ensuring that the players follow the program, record all times, analyse individual performances and recommend any alterations for individuals or in fact the whole program.
2. Design a general fitness test to be conducted (monthly, in the second week) at the USP Sports Science laboratory. This will assist in analysing the strength of the players and provide valuable insight to alterations needed for the strength program for individuals.
3. Conduct the aerobic fitness test at the end of each month, record and analyse for any alterations to individual’s conditioning programs.
4. Check weekly the recording charts of the players and record and assess.
5. Check the player’s diaries fortnightly and advise and assess.
6. Attend practice sessions to record player weights. At practice they will also receive some education in coaching.
7. Report ASAP on any problems they see with individual players
8. Prepare a monthly report on all their activities and attend the NDP meetings as scheduled
9. Assist with the setting up of the Super League competitions, receive education on score table duties and conduct the score table through the competition (the setting up will require some education on how to do a draw, keep records and results and a competition ladder – using FIBA Organiser)
10. Prepare a final report at the end of the year and make recommendations for the next year for the NDP
The Assessment Teams will allow for a far more professional approach with the senior squads and provide much valuable information for the coaches. The Assessment Teams will have the same responsibilities and powers as the coaches and managers and will form an integral part of the staff conducting the NDP.
Basketball Fiji is excited at this development which they have been planning for the past several months with Mr Lal and looks forward to the contribution of the USP students.
The Assessment Teams will work under the supervision of Basketball Fiji's AYAD, Mark Seccombe, himself a Sports Science graduate and will receive a great deal of practical experience that will assist sports in Fiji in the future. In introducing the NDP to the students this week, Mr Lal commented on the very professional and detailed development program that Basketball Fiji has and added that it was far in advance of other sports in Fiji.