Visible pathways for sport volunteers and professionals
A group of specialists from differing fields in sports, collaborating as the Sports Education Framework, met to discuss and progress an intitiative which was started in December 2011. The purpose of the project is to provide Pacific Islands sport professionals and volunteers with the oportunities to access the kind of education that is required within their induvidual countries. To this avail, the project group is identifying across a range of fields within sports what key roles and competencies will need to be. Using country specific data, recommendations will then be made on:
1. what roles the country needs;
2. whether any educational plans/programs already exist for this role with relevant organisations in the region; and
3. what education programs are yet to be created for certain roles.
Once all these aspects are in place, together with the readiness assessment tool (RAT) results from national sport federations, OSEP will be in a better position to provide a country specific recommendation and all necessary courses, be it directly or by referal to another institute, to ensure sustainable and accessible sports development.
1. Jubilee Kuartei, Amy Sasser and Gill Gemming
2. Andy Roosen and Dr Denis Mowbray