Don't forget to Friend Us at Facebook- Yarram Demons
for all up to the minute news and photos
Yarram Football Follower Notes 4th May
- Again a big thankyou to our sponsors including major sponsor Commercial Hotel. Bernie has been a long time supporter of our club and we thank him again for his generous support. On away games we head back to the Commercial for dinner and the reading of the awards.
- Well done again to all involved in the Beyond Blue Day last Saturday. Once again Kilcunda Bass were fantastic in supporting our club on this very important day, players observing a minutes silence prior to the senior match and a large attendance of Killy Bass players and officials in the rooms after the match. The netballers wore blue armbands and blue bibs and played with a blue match ball. Brunna was awarded the medal on the day for best on ground as judged by the umpires, for playing in “The spirit of the game” Well done. The Lynch family have been instrumental in making people aware of depression and to let people know there is help out there. The rooms were also decorated in blue for the day. Well done to everyone involved.
- Griffin Underwood played his 100th senior game for the Demons last Saturday and saw him lead his team to the top of the ladder.
- The day saw some high fliers, none more so than Brunna who took a screamer and Killy Bass’s M Hutchison who climbed big Lukas Jenkins, not quite coming down with the ball but perhaps a little air sickness. Both were truly spectacular in the balmy conditions.
- Best wishes to Corbin Sutherland who had eye surgery last week and to Trek Davis who had knee surgery recently.
- The club had a successful day with wins in the 4ths and senior football and 13 & U, 17 & U, B grade and A grade netball.
- An unfortunate side to the day was the injury to Jemma Millier. Jemma put her hand up to help the netball club out when numbers were almost non existent and now will watch from the sidelines after rupturing her Achilles tendon. We wish Jemma a speedy recovery.
- Awards Seniors- Carina’s Hairdressing-Brady Davis, Lucky Dragon-Shem Rendell, Commercial Hotel- Ryan Fawkes, Moore’s Butchers-Luke LeBlanc, Club Hotel- Brett Chapman
- Reserves- Beeros Awards- Hayden Down who battled all day in defence, Commercial Hotel- Ash Taylor who did a commendable job on a man twice his size, Moore’s Butchers- Andrew Caygill who played two games for the day, Lucky Dragon- Jackson Cupples who did everything required and asked of him
- Thirds Now showing Video- Jack Garland who had a good run and tried hard in defence, Fitzies- Louis Rodaughan who put in a strong effort all day in the midfield, DJ’s Fish ‘n’ Chips- Chris Coulthard, who rucked well and defended bravely, Old Bakery Pizza- Jari McDonald, who had lots of run and kicked 3 goals, $10 Award Jackson Cupples who battled hard against the odds, $10 Award- Darcy Pattinson for his defensive skills and effort.
- Fourths-Now Showing Video- Jesse Biemans, Fitzies- Liam Bentley, DJ’s fish ‘n’ chips Lucas Treller, Old Bakery Pizza- Jacob Davis, $5 awards Jordan McDonald, Louis Nuttall, Jacob Cooper
- Best wishes to Mark Finlay who is marrying his fiancé Rachael today in Melbourne, with a big O’Neill family reunion on the cards.
- Social Calendar- May 11th Annual Pink Day for Breast Cancer
- 12TH May Mothers Day - Sunday Morning 10am and Afternoon 2pm HIGH TEA AT THE BODMANS $20.00 BOOK YOUR TICKET NOW
What a great day for football and netball last Saturday, though the breeze played havoc early in the day conditions were warm but not too hot. It was a great day for the club winning all five games of netball and the four of football. All games were played in great spirits and all though the scores don’t indicate it most games were hard fought battles. Well done to all. Congratulations to Louis Rodaughan who debuted in the seniors kicking a well-earned goal in the process. “Big Ted” was on hand to hand the Garth Honey cup to Senior coach Griffin Underwood on behalf of the Honey family.
Congratulations to Darren Farley who umpired his 300th match at Yarram on Saturday, it was made even more special, as son Bradley, was boundary ump for the first time. Love them or hate them, the umpires are an integral part of the game. Congratulations to you both
Fourths- Video Hire- Jake McFarland, Fitzies- Jesse Biemens, DJ’s fish ‘n’ chips- Alex Jeffs, Old Bakery Pizza- Jordan McDonald, $5 awards-Lucas Treller and “Run” who played his first game with the Dees.
Thirds- Video Hire- Wayne McDonald, Fitzies- PJ, DJ’s fish ‘n’ chips- Jake Liversidge, Old Bakery Pizza- Braydn Wilson, Roddas award- Jari McDonald, Russ’s award- Tom Holt
Reserves- Berros award- Ryan Foulkes, Commercial Hotel meal- Don Borgia, Moore’s Butchers- Patrick O’Dwyer, Lucky Dragon- Tom Holt
Seniors- Carina’s Hairdressing- Louis Rodaughan, Lucky Dragon- Keiffer Sutherland, Commercial Hotel meal- Jake Anderson, Moore’s Butchers- Nathan Lynch
We must support all our sponsors who put their hands in their pockets week after week and thank them for their ongoing support. Special mention to our major sponsors this year, Foodworks, ANZ Bank ,Commercial Hotel Yarram and Brown and Wigg.
The big news last week was the announcement of the State Government supporting the recreation reserve push for a new sports pavilion. The building is set to coast 2.1M which will included change rooms for netballers, footballers,umpires a first aid room, store rooms and a state of the art kitchen/function room. This has certainly been a long time coming and well done to all involved.
Maudie and Trace have certainly been busy each week preparing and serving meals on a Thursday night. Likewise, Janie and Robyn are doing light meals after the game on Saturdays. It is much appreciated by everyone. So get along for a cheap and delicious meal Thursday and Saturday nights.
The netball club is running it tattslotto supplementary number again this year so if you have put your name down for a permanent number please make sure you keep your payments up to date as the profits go towards paying the umpires weekly. Winners from 2 weeks ago- are Gerald Finn and Alex Molinari.
Remember football and netball games don’t just run themselves, there are many people required to put teams on the ground and court each week. If everyone put their hand up for one job every few weeks, the job would be easier for those at the top who lead our great club. Don’t be shy; just say “I can”!
Former Yarram player David Gunton has been spotted at the games the last few weeks, so welcome to him.
The social club had put together a great list of social items for the season,the first big one being a Mother’s Day High Tea. There will be 2 sittings one for morning tea and one for afternoon tea. Cost is $30 tickets are available from Michelle or Robyn Underwood. The Bodman’s have generously offered their home for this so get behind the club and treat your mum to a delicious outing.
Good luck to all as we take on the west end Demons.
Our second away game for the season at Korrumburra Bena, we only got 1 win for the day in U15 Netball - well done girls. A VERY HOT day and K/Bena had strong teams accross the Netball & Football. To all those that played what "A MIGHTY DEMON EFFORT" across the Club you gave. For those supporters at the ground your cheering was felt by the Senior side in the last half, and gave a grand final atmosphere to the game, sadly we a lost by 1 goal in time on. Next Saturday its our first home game to Toora. We need everyone in Demonland to come along to all games and wear YOUR club colours support your players on the courts and ground.
Demons Coaches 2013
A whole new team of coaches will oversee the Yarram Demons this season.
Former premiership player Griffin Underwood has returned to take the Senior coaching reins and has already had an impact, introducing a whole new game plan.
Underwood will have the backing of Reserves coach Matt Emery, Thirds Coach Russell Mitchell and Fourths Coach Stan Grazotis.
“We had a practice match against Heyfield, the boys applied the new game plan really well, so now we can look forward to round one this Sunday,” Underwood said.
“Big Lukas Jenkins made his return to footy after a serious knee injury at the beginning of last season, which kept him out of the game for 12 months. He pulled up well so we are expecting big things from him this season.”
Other recruits include the return of Tom Holt from Sale and Matt Satafoulis from Melbourne.
“Jarrod Swift, who missed a lot of footy last year due to work commitments , is ready to make a big impression this year, as are our younger players in Luke Le Blanc and Brady Davis, who were given a taste of senior football last year and are now ready to cement their places in the senior line up,”Underwood said.
Underwood has worked hard in the off season to improve his players’ fitness by developing individual programs for each.
“We are really looking forward to the season ahead. Not everything will be smooth sailing but that’s football. We will meet all challenges head on,”he said.
While the Senior side is well prepared, Reserves coach Matt Emery is feeling his way.
“This is my first time as coach of any side, so I am learning a lot from Griffin,” Matt said.
“As a team we are starting to bond really well which augurs well for the start of the season,” he said.
Thirds coach Russell Mitchell is in for a busy season, but he is well prepared for what lies ahead.
“This is my first year as U18 coach, (Russell is also president of the Junior Yallies Club) my aim for these young men is to help them to become competitive and make the finals,”Russell said. “Numbers are good, so all is looking well.”
The youngest member of the coaching team is Stan Grazotis who steps into the Under 15 coaching role. Stan coached this team last season with a great deal of success, and hopes to take them to the next level this year.
(as reported in the Yarram Standard , 27th March 2013)